Sunday, March 21, 2010

Journal Entry 6

Thirty Conversations on Design

I listened to:

Sean Adams - who said that the most influential piece of design for him was the Declaration of Independence, which was an interesting choice. He said that he thought it was the biggest accomplishment to design a government. Design is solving problems.

Steven Heller - said the Michelin Man. Haha. He thinks that it is a hugely successful logo/spokesperson. I feel like that is a really strange choice. I don't know if the Michelin Man would be the trademark that I would think is most successful...?

Erik Spiekermann - said the alphabet. Gutenberg invented the printing press and created the first typeface that was not just handwriting. It was the beginning of typefaces. -- like Meta. The alphabet is art.

Monica Nassif - said the spoon. The spoon is a great invention for the kitchen. She says that green design is working with what you have, and making it better. The spoon is a simple, well-designed tool that helps people make things better.

Joe Duffy - says that nature is the root of design. He strongly believes in reducing and reusing. Natural colors and natural forms create strong design. Ex: the Bahamas redesign was meant to mirror the look of the islands.

And to answer the questions for myself.... wow... that's hard. It's something that I'm going to have to think about over a few years of working, I think. However, I that design can change the world. Who doesn't want to live in a well-designed, beautiful world?

No comments:

Post a Comment